What is Janus v. AFSCME? Janus v. AFSCME is a United States Supreme Court case that threatens to overturn the 1977 Abood v. Detroit Board of Education case, which up-held...
What if you found a gun at your school?
You reported it immediately to your supervisor and you find out that:
The gun belongs to your supervisor (who happens to be the campus Active Shooter Trainer) and he left it unattended and unsecured!
- Your supervisor was allowed by the college president to take you into his office to talk to you alone behind closed doors and;
- He asked you to keep it quiet.
- You and your co-workers had to go to the HR Director the NEXT DAY because he didn’t come to you.
- You called the police and filed the police report because the school administration didn’t
- The HR Director didn’t notify the head of campus security immediately
- Unofficial notice that the Supervisor was to be placed on administrative leave with pay was not given until 84 hours after the Administration had knowledge of the incident.
- There was no communication from the school administration to the campus community for a whole week!
- Even after all this, no one is looking into the Administration’s response to this incident
This is exactly what happened on May 31st, 2018, at Rio Hondo College to your fellow CSEA Classified Members of Chapter 477. The college left staff, students, and faculty unprotected by not following accepted principles and best practices widely accepted in public educational institutions. Our solution: an independent and impartial audit of policies and practices.
Call the Board of Trustee member in your district and tell them what you think about how this entire incident was handled and demand an independent and impartial audit of policies and practices. Phone: (562) 908-3403
Without addressing the rules, regulations, and policies—this will happen again.
Norma Edith Garcia – Trustee Area 1: City of El Monte
Vicky Santana – Trustee Area 2: City of Pico Rivera
Mary Ann Pacheco – Trustee Area 3: City of Whittier & South El Monte
Gary Mendez – Trustee Area 4: Los Nietos, Santa Fe Springs, South Whittier & North Norwalk
Madeline Shapiro – Trustee Area 5: East Whittier
DEMAND an INDEPENDENT COMMITTEE to AUDIT THE DISTRICTS RESPONSE and to form new POLICIES AND PROCEDURES!
We invite you and encourage you to attend the next board meeting.
Location: 3600 Workman Mill Rd, Whittier, CA 90601 – Room A102
Date: Wednesday, July 11 @ 6:00 pm
News article about the incident on Whittier Daily News: https://www.whittierdailynews.com/2018/06/14/loaded-gun-found-on-rio-hondo-college-campus-stirs-controversy-employees-want-independent-investigation/