What is Janus v. AFSCME? Janus v. AFSCME is a United States Supreme Court case that threatens to overturn the 1977 Abood v. Detroit Board of Education case, which up-held...
On January 14, one of the most important labor actions of the decade will begin as more than 30,000 educators in LAUSD (Los Angeles Unified School District) go on strike for smaller class sizes, more nurses and counselors, a fair wage, and accountability for charter schools. UTLA (United Teachers LA) and its members are committed to advancing social and racial justice, not just higher wages. This isn’t just a worker strike, it’s the people’s strike for the future of public education.
Here are four things that UTLA is asking that we do to support them:
1. Join a picket line before and/or after school. Wear red or your organization/union/school t-shirt.
2. Adopt a school by working with the school’s union rep to identify logistical needs like bathrooms and other services near the schools.
3. Call Superintendent Beutner—213-241-7000–and School Board President Monica Garcia—213-241-6480–to insist that they spend a substantial portion of their surplus $1.9 billion to fully fund our schools.
6. Post on social media that you are standing with educators and our school community. #strikeready #redfored #utlastrong
CSEA 477 and the Faculty Association will be joining together in supporting our adopted school: South Gate Middle School. This is some of the information that we have received about South Gate Middle School.
South Gate Middle School is located at 4100 Firestone Blvd. in South Gate, 90280. They have 85 UTLA members. While most are teachers, they also have counselors, a nurse, school psychologist, and other out of classroom personnel. They have between 1800-1900 students in grades 6-8. Some of the difficult working situations they are experiencing:
- Large class sizes
- Not enough counselors.
- Constant fighting against co-location by charter schools.
- The school is old and run down.
- Many old bungalows that need to be removed contain dangerous materials and attract vermin.
- Lack of funds for properly running a school of this size
- New teachers start at approximately $50,000 a year
Picketing will happen in the mornings from 6:45-8: 45am and from 1:45-3pm each day and that they could use extra support on the picket line, as well as any support with donations.